Friday 20 November 2009

Life of a trainee journalist

Well, where shall I begin? Another week is over, yet again. Time just flies when you least expect it. But when you're not doing anything, it drags, good GOD does it drag. This morning, we had our weekly assessment for shorthand. I am very proud of myself, having started on the subject much later than my friends; I can do 50 maybe if it’s a good passage 60 words per minute.
Having said that, I don't think I was at my best today. I live in student accommodation on college grounds. As part of a health and safety drill, they decided to do a mock fire alarm test at 5.30 am! Going to bed at 1am did not help, and the worst thing was that I was down in the cold in my PJs!

But I felt better afterwards knowing the alarm is working. We also had an interesting law session today. I like law; it is a subject I’m very interested in, I’m constantly watching the news, reading the papers and applying all the knowledge from the subject.

Public affairs, is not the most engaging of subjects, nothing to do with lectures, it’s the subject itself. What is the point of the people in Local Government? But they are a great source of ridicule and stories, so hey they’re keeping us in business, so “carry on bungling councillors!”

I do enjoy what we are doing. As the course goes on I find myself getting more able to conduct a better interview and also be brave enough to ask those tough questions.

Next step is getting my writing up to scratch. I must try and stop fiddling with my blackberry every two seconds! It is a cool gadget, I am easily distracted. My nosiness is further fuelled with online updates on my phone, which is good to keep up with the world, need to be if I am going to be a successive journalist.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Geeta, very pleased you are finding the course interesting and tiring! Exactly as I promised. this blog has a lovely chatty style and I can almost hear you speaking. Well done.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete