Sunday 2 May 2010

The waiting game, and the moments inbetween

It has now been three months since finishing all manner of formal education for good. So far, the fear of the big wide world hasn't been so much of an issue as much as the lack of a full time job.

But because I'm the 'ants in the pants', super hyper type of person, I have been writing more than ever, freelancing for a few friends and their websites or small town publication. Just recently I was lucky enough to secure some work experience at proper local paper, where I had a great chance to learn new writing skills and meet new people. I helped cover a local election rally/meeting. It was not too bad actually considering I was probably one of the few (about 3 ) young people in the place.

My shorthand note taking kept me wide awake throughout the event. Among other things, from a phone interview, some lady addressed me as 'Lindsay'?! How similar sounding is my name to that I do not know, but she was happy enough and the article went in to the paper, which is the most important thing i suppose.

If the few days at the paper was not enough, I was on a train the very next day going across the country, East to West direction. Yup i travelled all the way to the West Country for an interview with a paper. Must say it was a beautiful part of the country. The area, had loads of retro, hippie type clothes stores, which I found very intriguing and many young-ish, young parents mostly wearing hippie type clothes. If they weren't hippies, they were the tweed wearing posh country folk kind. What a mix!

If the 12 hour round trip to the West and back was not bad enough, the chance meeting of this rather eccentric, very loopy but nice enough, loud and massively hyper man on the train was... a funny moment. If it had been anybody else I'm sure they would have tuned him out, told him to F off or could have been embarrassed even.

This guy said his name was 'James', not sure if that was real or bogus, I told him my name. 'oh I know another Geetha!' -yea like hey I too know another 'James' in fact several others, I thought to myself. He goes on about how he's a major Lib Dem supporter and the amount of work he does for the party in his local area in Gloucester and in London. I'm not sure if he was really talking to someone on the phone or if he was bluffing when he said "hey (so&so) I'm on my way to London now, I'll be at the house of commons by 5 hopefully". Not quiet sure he was all there at this point, It being a Friday afternoon and near enough bank holiday weekend.

Don't get me wrong he was friendly enough and well dressed, but that's not to say nutters cant be nice and well dressed to BE nutters. He tried guessing what i did for a living, got it wrong of course and I get this a lot,  ( I find it very funny), he tried to guess where my family come from. And like the numerous people I have met, he got it wrong -hilarious when I pull that one out of the bag. Just before we have to get off he gets another phone call, after rabbiting on about getting so-many bottles of champers and Marks and Spencer's tid-bits for this do (apparently) he turns to me and gossips about the guy he was talking to and how the guy called 'Frank' used to be a gangster and now is a major player in the media industry. 'Cool' I said, but thinking to myself- 'what a load of BS!'

Thankfully the train had reached London. He shakes my hand and and hurries off, I on the other laughed the whole incident off in my head and rushed off to get some cola from Burger King, needed the sugar rush!

2 comments:

  1. Of course he was bluffing! The House of Commons is closed! You should have punched him - solves most things - it's easy for me to say of course. But according to leading GPs, punching a person can improve their mentality by up to 67& if done precisely and correctly. That might not be true or might be true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like he was bluffing the whole way… I don't know how people get the energy.

    ReplyDelete